Where can I buy DFD?
We are now open and located at 2561 N Miami Ave, next to Lock & Load. Our Canine Kitchen is dog-friendly so you and your dog can visit and see exactly how our meals and treats are made. We aim to bring transparency to the industry and showcase the quality of our ingredients and the integrity of our process.
Do you deliver?
Dishes For Dogs delivers within a 15 mile radius ($5 within 1 mile and $2 for each additional mile). We make deliveries between 12PM-5PM Tuesday-Sunday and same day deliveries must be placed before 12AM. We will leave your order at your door or with your concierge in an insulated bag with gel packs. Call us at (305) 505-5712 to set up a delivery!
Return the bag to the store or leave it outside for your next delivery and receive $2 off your next order!
What are the benefits of a DFD diet?
The benefits of a DFD whole food, cooked diet are numerous.
- Shinier, softer coat
- Fresher breath
- Supports digestion and assimilation of nutrients
- Helps to strengthen the immune system to fight infections
- Supports a long and healthy life
There are so many natural food options. What makes DFD unique?
With so many options on the market for premium, organic, or natural dog foods, it can easily become overwhelming. Here are a few things that make DFD the highest quality and most effective diet for the maintenance of your dog’s health.
- USDA Certified Ingredients - Dishes For Dogs only uses ingredients certified by the USDA for human consumption. This ensures the highest safety, quality, and bioavailability of essential nutrients.
- Dr. Justin Shmalberg - All of our diets have been developed and formulated with consultation from Dr. Justin Shmalberg, a board-certified veterinary nutritionist. Dr. Shmalberg has helped us to merge a whole foods approach with the latest science regarding pet nutrition. He is a board-certified specialist in both small animal clinical nutrition (DACVN) and canine rehabilitation and sports medicine (DACVSMR). Currently Dr. Shmalberg is a Clinical Assistant Professor and Service Chief of Nutrition and Integrative Medicine as well as the Medical Director of the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital.
- Balanced Diet - In addition to the nutrients present in the whole foods, DFD diets are balanced with a recipe-specific VitaMineral mix, formulated by Dr. Shmalberg. This is to ensure your dog achieves its full potential and nutrient deficiencies do not occur over time.
- Complete Transparency - At our Canine Kitchen in Wynwood, Miami we offer complete transparency. Customers can visit us to pick up some dishes or treats, while witnessing the integrity of our process and the quality of our ingredients. Plus, they can pick up some fresh dishes cooked that very same day!
Do you ship?
Yes! Our goal is to improve the health of as many dogs as possible. We currently ship our treats anywhere within the continental U.S. You can order them here. We are currently researching the most effective and eco-conscious method of shipping our whole food dishes. As soon as we find the ideal method we will alert our customers. We can’t wait to bring DFD to the bowls of dogs outside the local Miami area.
How much do I feed my dog?
You can reference our feeding calculator located on our navigation menu at the top right of this page. The serving portions are based on feeding an active adult dog once daily. These numbers should be used only as a guide, as every dog has their own unique metabolism and activity level. We do recommend using a digital scale for increased accuracy, but you can also use the measurement provided in cups. Always make sure to monitor your dog’s weight and adjust serving size as needed.
How do I prepare the food?
- Step 1, Thaw - Gently thaw frozen DFD packet at room temperature or in the refrigerator. It is only necessary to bring the frozen packet up to a temperature that makes separating a smaller portion from packet possible. It is important not to cook the food, as it has already been lightly cooked to best maintain its nutritional integrity, while also removing harmful pathogens.
- Step 2, Portion - Reference our feeding calculator (located on our navigation menu at the top right of this page) to determine the appropriate serving size, based on your dog's weight. We recommend using a scale for increased accuracy, however you can also use measuring cups. Separate the appropriate amount.
- Step 3, Serve - Some dogs may prefer to have their meals warm, which is best done by submerging the portion (in a separate small bag) in hot but not boiling water. You can also heat gently in the microwave on the low setting.
We recommend to discard any unpackaged, uneaten food left out for more than a few hours.
Is the food acceptable for puppies as well?
Yes, all DFD diets are considered balanced meals for all life stages. However, the daily feeding recommendation for a puppy is slightly different and can be determined through a free consultation with a DFD team member. Contact us at (305) 505-5712 or email@example.com.
How long does the food last?
We vacuum seal and freeze our dishes immediately after cooking to best preserve the nutrient integrity and bioavailability without chemicals or high pressure processing. Our meals will last up to a year in the freezer or 4-7 days in the refrigerator. We recommend to discard any unpackaged, uneaten food left at room temperature for more than a few hours.
Can i feed my dog DFD right away?
In order to avoid digestive issues, it is very important to slowly introduce any changes to your dog’s diet, regardless of the quality. Below is our recommended transition guide.
Do you make food for cats?
We would never leave the cat lovers behind! Michael has a cat of his own, Monsoon, so having options for our feline friends is a top priority after we open our canine kitchen. Stay tuned!
Can I cook the meals at home?
Cooking for your dog can be a lot of fun! We sell our VitaMineral mix along with the recipes and detailed cooking instructions so that you can cook a fresh meal for your pup at home! Check them out here.
Can I mix dfd with dry kibble?
Yes, you can mix DFD with dry kibble. During transition to a whole food diet we always recommend mixing at first. You can check out our transition guide here. Also, mixing DFD with kibble is an great way to improve the quality of your dog’s diet.
What if my dog doesn't like the dish?
We are confident your dog will like all of our dishes. However, if your dog turns his/her nose up at any of our products we will gladly make an exchange or issue a refund.
My dog is currently on a prescription diet. Can he/she eat DFD?
Dogs with a number of health issues may thrive and improve on the right DFD diet. That being said, your dog’s safety is primary and we want to offer tailored advice, in consultation with you and your veterinary team, if necessary. This is why we recommend that you contact a DFD team member directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (305) 505-5712 to discuss appropriate diets. If necessary, we can refer you for consultation with our veterinary nutritionist, Dr. Justin Shmalberg, at which time a custom dietary plan may be developed.
What is the guaranteed analysis?
The Guaranteed Analysis is essentially the pet food industry’s version of the familiar Nutrition Facts label found on our food. Although not as detailed, the Guaranteed Analysis contains percentage figures of at least four components: Protein, Fat, Fiber and Moisture. This makes comparing similar types of dog food easier for the consumer. However, when comparing different types of dog food (i.e. fresh food vs. dry food) the guaranteed analysis is less than ideal and very misleading. The moisture content is much higher for fresh food and therefore is responsible for a larger percentage of the finished product. Thus crude protein, crude fat, and crude fiber will read as a lower percentage when compared to dry food. This does not mean that fresh food has less protein than dry food, but instead reflects its increased moisture content. DFD sends all dishes to be tested at two independent labs in order to get the most accurate results and we have included them on each label.